Below are papers that have been assigned (or optional) for reading sections.
The more you read them, the wiser you become….
- Darwin, C. and A. R. Wallace. 1858. On the tendency of species to form varieties; and on the perpetuation of varieties and species by natural means of selection. Journal of the Linnean Society of London (Zoology) 3: 45-62. (or for a less pixelated version of the same paper….)
- Grant, P.R., and B.R. Grant. 2002. Unpredictable evolution in a 30-year study of Darwin’s finches. Science 296: 707- 711.
- Fry, B. G., et al., 2006. Early evolution of the venom system in lizards and snakes. Nature 439:584-588.
- Tishkoff, S.A., et al. 2007. Convergent adaptation of human lactase persistence in Africa and Europe. Nature Genetics 39: 31 – 40
- Basolo, A. L. 1995. Phylogenetic evidence for the role of a pre-existing bias in sexual selection. Proceedings of the Royal Society – Biological Sciences 259:307-311
- Heath, D.D., J.W. Heath, C.A. Bryden, R.M. Johnson, and C.W. Fox. 2003. Rapid evolution of egg size in captive salmon. Science 299: 1738-1740.
- Pianka: on r- and K-selection. The American Naturalist, Vol. 104, No. 940 (Nov. – Dec., 1970), pp. 592-597
- Savolainen et al. 2006. Sympatric speciation in palms on an oceanic island. Nature